What are the benefits of being a casual?
- Doing casual work while you are studying towards a qualifications is a great way to implement what you are learning in theory into a real work situation.
- Given you can update your availability for work on a weekly basis, casual work enables you flexibility around your study commitments.
- Casual work enables you to see how different centres operate, different programming styles and different teaching philosophies.
- Enjoy a variety of team cultures.
What can I do different to stand out from other casuals?
- Be proactive, ask your room leader “what is the best way I can help you today?
- Go to your assignment equipped with resources / ideas for activities
- Be willing to travel a little further than you would on a permanent basis
- Keep ELP up to date with your availability.
- Engage with the children, get involved with the activities.
- Work as part of the team, introduce yourself to team members.
- Be happy to do whatever is asked of you.
- Wear your ELP shirt and name tag so that the team can identify you.
How will I get regular work?
- Keep the team at ELP updated with your availability.
- Be flexible in your approach to shifts that you are offered.
- Once you accept a shift, ensure that you commit to it.
- When you are at work, be interested, be proactive, be engaged, be
- If you get to a centre and you do a good job, typically they’ll request you back next time they need a casual.